Sunday, 6 November 2011

Glidecam HD1000 Test Film

Cal flying the Glidecam HD1000 and Paddy acting
I was lucky enough to get to borrow the Glidecam Hd1000 from a friend for a day.

My dissertation was a study into camera movement and steadicam technology, so I have plenty of knowledge and skills with operating stabilising equipment.

A few things I noticed about the kit.
  • Balancing the rig is a bitch. You must be patient but the payoff is worth it. I luckily had a spirit bubble as part of the quick release plate.
  • Make sure battery is in and lens cap is off before balancing. I found out the hard way and wasted a good 10mins.
  • Only use a wide angle lens. I've recently purchased the ever-popular 50mm 1.8, which I would never be able to fly on this rig. Any slight movements are exaggerated heavily the longer the lens is. For this film I used the 17mm setting.
  • To fly successfully, you must walk/run like you've just messed your underwear. It takes some practice but is effective on video.
For more information, check out their website. And no I didn't get paid to put that link!

Below is a short test film showing the rig in use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ANALYTIC CODE
END OF ANALYTIC CODE